Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box - 550W
Thunderbolt 3-to-eGPU Expansion System with 550W Power Supply
Sonnet’s eGFX Breakaway Box, a Thunderbolt 3-to-PCIe card expansion solution supports any Thunderbolt compatible PCIe card, but is designed specifically for bandwidth-intensive graphic video cards.
Connect a High-Performance Graphics Card or Other Bandwidth-Hungry PCIe Card to a Thunderbolt 3-Equipped Computer
Sonnet’s eGFX Breakaway Box, a Thunderbolt 3-to-PCIe card expansion solution supports any Thunderbolt compatible PCIe card, but is designed specifically for bandwidth-intensive graphic video cards. The Breakaway Box enables all the popular GPU cards that support connecting to a computer over Thunderbolt such as AMD Radeon R9 and RX and NVIDIA GeForce GTX7, 9 and 10 series, providing GPU support for computationally-intensive applications.
Graphic Intensive Gaming
There’s no need to carry a heavy and expensive gaming laptop to have a great gaming experience—just plug in a Breakaway Box and add the GPU power you want when you need it! By delivering much higher frame rates for smooth game play, the Breakaway Box is ideal for enabling graphic-intensive gaming on computers (such as thin/light notebooks) that otherwise would not be able to produce an acceptable gaming experience. When used with computers that properly support eGPUs, accelerated graphics can either be displayed on your notebook’s own display panel or on external monitors. And, unlike with gaming laptops, when the next generation of GPUs rolls around and you are ready for another performance boost, simply upgrade the GPU card—nobody should have to replace their computer just to keep up with the latest in GPU technology.
Ready for Work, Coolest & Quietest eGFX Graphics Card Box on the Market
In addition to eGPU cards, the Breakaway Box supports every other Thunderbolt-compatible PCIe card, regardless of the card's length or width—its single x16 PCIe 3.0 slot easily accommodates full-length cards such as the RED Rocket-X or AVID Pro Tools|HDX. The Breakaway Box’s single-port 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface ensures the full 2750 MB/s of PCIe bandwidth is dedicated to the installed card.
The Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box is the coolest and quietest eGFX box on the market—with its large variable-speed, temperature-controlled fan that quietly and effectively cools the installed card, the Breakaway Box can be comfortably used in noise-sensitive working environments.
For Media Professionals
In today’s 4K workflows, harnessing the computational engine in today’s GPU cards is essential to keeping up with on-set and post production timelines. The eGFX Breakaway Box is ideal for supporting the acceleration of special effects, animation, color grading, rendering, and editing.
40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Performance
Thunderbolt 3 is a leap forward in every way. Whether you’re editing 4K video at high frame rates or blasting aliens out of the sky, you can now transform your notebook into a true desktop experience. With up to 2750 MB/s available bandwidth, the Breakaway Box exploits its 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 interface to offer the best-possible eGPU experience, or handle the most demanding, highest performance PCIe cards.
Available with 350W or 550W Power Supply
Sonnet offers two eGFX Breakaway Box models to choose from—the eGFX Breakaway Box 350 and eGFX Breakaway Box 550—enabling you to select one best suited to your needs. The eGFX Breakaway Box 350 includes 8-pin plus one 6-pin auxiliary power connectors, supports cards requiring 300W or less power, and provides 15W of upstream power. The eGFX Breakaway Box 550 includes dual 8-pin auxiliary power connectors, supports cards requiring 375W+ of power, and provides 87W of upstream power, useful for charging your notebook computer. Both models include a 0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable to connect the box to your computer. Whichever model you choose, the Breakaway Box is Thunderbolt Certified for Mac and Windows.
Ideal for Accelerating
- Special effects
- Color grading
Also Ideal for Enabling Graphic Intensive Gaming on Non-Gaming Computers:
- Enables high frame rate gaming with thin/light notebooks
- Accelerated graphics on notebook display or external display
- No need to carry around a heavy/expensive gaming laptop—plugin GPU power when you need it
Connects High Performance GPU Cards to Computers with Thunderbolt 3 Ports
- Connects a supported GPU card to your eGFX-compatible computer with Thunderbolt 3 ports
Supports Cards With Popular GPU Chipsets
- Includes AMD Radeon R9 and RX and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 7, 9 and 10 series
x16 PCI Express 3.0 slot
- Supports up to full-length, full-height, single- or double-width card
Supports Other Thunderbolt 3-Compatible PCIe Cards
- Perfect for full-length cards such as the RED ROCKET-X or AVID Pro Tools|HDX
40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 Interface with One Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Port
- Ensures full 2750 MB/s of PCIe bandwidth(1) is dedicated to the installed card
Available with 350W or 550W Power Supply
- Model with 350W power supply has one 8-pin & one 6-pin auxiliary power connector and delivers 15W of upstream power; model with 550W power supply has dual 8-pin connectors and can also deliver 87W upstream power to charge your computer
Quietest eGFX System Available
- Large built-in, variable-speed, temperature-controlled fan quietly and effectively cools the installed card
Thunderbolt Certified for Mac & Windows
- (macOS does not support connection of GPU cards over Thunderbolt and GPU card drivers are not officially Thunderbolt compatible on macOS.)
Note: PCIe cards sold separately
- eGFX Breakaway Box system
- Power cord
- 0.5-meter Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps) cable