RME MADIface USB Interface
MADI Portability At Its Best 128-Channel MADI USB Interface
The compact RME MADIface USB provides MADI I/O over USB 2.0 while supporting the format's full 64 channels for recording and playback, under Mac and Windows. Both inputs can be used for full redundancy operation. Optionally both MADI I/Os can be operated simultaneously for full 128 channel input and output access, mixed and routed by TotalMix. Even without computer the small box delivers extraordinary bi-directional format converter and active repeater functionality.
The RME MADIface USB is both MADI convenience at its best and a perfect desktop solution to link MADI equipment to any Mac and PC. As recording professionals have come to expect from RME, the MADIface USB is also an industry leader in versatility, power and trouble-free operation
For stand-alone use the MADIface USB can be powered by any USB power wall wart or USB battery. Without a host computer the device enters a pre-configured mode. Using one input the MADIface USB is clock slave, utilising the sample rate found at the input. Active AutoSelect means either input can be used. The output format also adheres to the input format (56/64 channel mode, 48k/96k Frame). Using two inputs Double Processing Mode is activated, for two independent paths, including two SteadyClocks. The internal routing also shifts from parallel output to cross-coupled.
Therefore in stand-alone mode the unit instinctively operates as an active repeater, in effect this doubles the maximum cable length of 100 m coaxial and 2,000 m optical. With two inputs connected the unit operates as bi-directional format converter, converting coaxial to optical and vice versa instantaneously.
Thanks to a completely newly generated signal, jitter suppression by SteadyClock, and reclocking of the MADI output, the MADIface USB delivers refined, not basic, format conversion.
- MADIface USB offers several operation modes when used with a Mac or Windows computer: 64 Channel Mix, Redundancy mode, 128 Channel Mix and a straight routing mode.
- The option Disable TotalMix completely disables TotalMix, the unit's flexible internal mixer and routing matrix. All input and output data is going straight to record/coming from playback, with no mixing or routing involved. In this mode the outputs are mirrored, carrying the same signal.
- In 64 Channel Mix mode TotalMix shows 64 input, playback and output channels. All settings in TotalMix use the data from one MADI input port, and send identical data to both MADI output ports. The currently active MADI input port can be configured in the Settings dialog.
- The option AutoSelect activates an automatic input selection. Using both inputs at the same time, AutoSelect puts the device into Seamless Redundancy mode. The MADIface USB will switch to the other input in real-time if the current one fails.
- In 128 Channel Mix mode record and playback is still limited to 64 channels, with the current input selected in the Settings dialog. But the other input is also available through TotalMix, and the output signal is not mirrored, but separated, with TotalMix having 128 output channels. Applications like independent mix output, monitoring and serial pass-through of the second source are just a few clicks away.
- SteadyClock as well as RME's well known MADI compatibility ensure hassle-free operation with other devices. MIDI over MADI technology may be used to remote-control other MADI devices. DIGICheck, an included complete audio analyzing suite, supports the user under Mac OS X and Windows.