The PreSonus RC 500 is a 1-channel Solid-State Channel Strip featuring preamplifier, FET compressor and 3-band semi-parametric EQ. So-called the RC after PreSonus’ engineering mastermind Robert Creel, this very special channel-strip came to life when its creator was designing the ADL 700. What he came up with was a solid-state ultra-low-distortion, high-gain, solid-state Class A preamplifier design that now forms the basis of this channel-strip.
The PreSonus RC 500 takes the latest-generation, low-distortion operational amplifiers and couples them with a solid-state preamp that uses a class A hybrid input stage with discrete transistors. The result is a vintage sound usually associated with classic preamps at a fraction of the cost.
The compressor found in the RC 500 is the same design found in the wildly popular PreSonus ADL 700. This FET compressor features fully variable attack, release and threshold controls as well as a bypass feature. Due to the nature of the FET compressor a much more reliable and consistent sound is produced time after time.
The PreSonus RC 500 – from inception to reality!
As well as designing the solid-state preamplifier found in the RC 500, Robert Creel also designed the 3-band semi-parametric EQ. Featuring a full range of frequencies from 20 Hz all the way through to 20 KHz with overlapping frequency ranges on the mid and high bands and offers gain controls from -16 dB to + 16 dB. The low and high bands have a switchable peak and shelving option.
Staying connected whilst using the RC 500 is made very simple due to the selectable input switch. Allowing users to keep microphone, instruments and line inputs all connected at the same time via 2 x XLR inputs on the back and a single ¼” TRS plug on the front. It also has all the usual features you would expect to find such as +48V Phantom power, polarity inversion and a 20 dB pad as standard.
This single channel strip provides the classic sound you are after without breaking the bank.
" I will go as far as to say it achieves better results of some of the higher end ones I’ve used in the past. PreSonus is a company pioneering some very innovative stuff in our constantly growing audio industry. I can’t wait to see what they will release next. "- Mix Coach
" Spending time with the review unit made me want to own it. It has the feel of a boutique piece that I'd rather only tell close friends about, but it's too late now, because I'm writing this review."- Tape Op
- Transformer-coupled, high gain microphone preamp with a Class A hybrid design
- FET based compressor using hybrid detection methods with switching relays for hard bypass
- 3-band semi-parametric equalizer with switching relays for hard bypass
- +48V phantom power, 80 Hz highpass filter, and -20 dB pad
- Front-panel ¼” instrument and rear-panel XLR microphone and line inputs with Input Select switch
- VU meter with selectable output level/gain reduction display
- Analog insert with balanced send and return
- High grade components: film capacitors, 1% tolerance resistors, and very low-distortion op amps
- Master output control
- Balanced output on XLR and ¼” TRS connectors
- Internal toroidal power supply with IEC connector
- Steel chassis
Maximum Input Level