RedNet MP8R is an 8-channel remote-controlled microphone preamplifier and A/D for the Dante audio-over-IP network. Developed from the RedNet 4 studio remote-controlled microphone preamp, and incorporating input from leading live sound practitioners during its development, the MP8R provides a wealth of features that make it particularly applicable to the live sound/recording and broadcast environments, and other workflows where reliability is paramount.
PSU and Ethernet redundancy
Dual Ethernet ports with locking etherCON connectors are provided, with several operating modes including daisy-chaining and redundancy confirmed by front-panel indicators. Two separate power supplies with fault detection capability are included, with separate power input sockets (with retaining clips) on the rear of the unit. The state of each power supply is indicated both remotely and on the front panel. The MP8R features a rugged, roadworthy exterior and high internal build quality. In addition, the unit offers a compact 1U rack-mount form factor.
The MP8R preamps represent the latest iteration of Focusrite’s award-winning mic pre designs, with a pedigree that stretches back to the original Focusrite products of the mid-1980s. Fully keeping pace with the latest developments in audio technology, today’s Focusrite preamps offer lower noise, great dynamic range and better Common Mode Rejection than ever before.
The preamps in the MP8R offer an increased maximum input level of 28dBu, plus a 20dB pad, high-pass filter, polarity inversion and phantom power. Each preamp has a dual input impedance of 10k or 2.4k ohms, allowing flexibility when running multiple mic pres in parallel.
DSP gain tracking
The MP8R includes a sophisticated gain tracking ability, appearing as a 16-channel device on the network, the first eight channels being direct preamp feeds, while the remaining eight are automatically DSP level-compensated outputs sourced from the first eight. This architecture allows “splits” – such as monitor/FOH – to be set up in the digital domain, permitting one engineer to control the analogue mic gain while a second receives an output level that is constant irrespective of the analogue mic gain setting.
Local or remote control
The preamps may be controlled remotely in a variety of ways, including via the RedNet Control software package, Pro Tools and MIDI, and OCA (Open Control Architecture – supported via 2015 firmware upgrade); in addition, the preamps can be operated from the MP8R front panel, where 6-segment level metering, numeric gain display and other indicators provide comprehensive monitoring of the unit’s operation.
Following the mic pres are eight channels of Focusrite’s legendary high-precision A/D converters, operating at up to 192kHz/24-bit with minimum latency and offering class-leading dynamic range and overall performance.
Full Dante interoperability
Like the entire RedNet product range, the MP8R interoperates seamlessly and fully with any other Dante audio-over-IP network components and infrastructure. Patching and interconnection can be managed with the Dante control software.
- Built-in redundancy with dual power and network connections
- Rugged roadworthy all-metal construction, high build quality, locking power and etherCON Ethernet connectors
- Eight Focusrite remote-controlled preamps with enhanced input level capability, and dual input impedance to deliver maximum performance when one mic feeds single or multiple pres
- Two outputs from each preamp: one direct and the other automatically gain-compensated to deliver a constant level
- 20dB pad, HPF and polarity inversion per input
- Operate locally, or remotely via RedNet Control software, Pro Tools, MIDI or OCA (Open Control Architecture – available 2015 via firmware update)
- Precision low-latency conversion at up to 24-bit/192kHz, with best-in-class dynamic range and overall audio quality
- 6-segment LED level meters; OLED display indicates input gain and system information
- Compact 1U form factor
- Total interoperability with other Dante products and networks
Connectors (rear panel)
2x IEC power connector with retaining clip: 100–240Vac, 50/60 Hz. Cord retaining clips included.
8x XLR3F analogue audio inputs
Controls (front panel)
Indicators (front panel)
PSU A and PSU B power supply active LEDs
Network: Primary, Secondary and Locked LEDs
Gain range: 0 dB to 55 dB in 1 dB steps
Supported sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz