The PreSonus ADL 700 is a single channel High-Voltage Tube Channel Strip. Building on the success of the ADL 600 Tube Preamp, this channel strip contains a high quality FET compressor, four-band semi-parametric EQ as well as a tube preamplifier similar to the one found in the 600.
As PreSonus has shown before, they really do get the blend of high end sonic attributes and great build quality spot on. The ADL 700 is no different in that respect. This channel strip boasts frequency response from 10 Hz right up to 45 kHz and a whole host of features you’d expect from a high end unit such as this. Just like the 600, the ADL 700 operates with ±300V power rails delivering great tone and loads of headroom while the dual-transformer design ensures ultra-low noise operation with a warm sound.
With the ADL 700, PreSonus has once again delivered maximum flexibility. A quick look at the front of the channel strip will reveal just how much control the user is offered – from the overlapping frequency ranges in the custom-designed EQ to its 18 dB of make-up gain available in 3 dB increments. Due to the input source select switch users are able to keep a microphone connected via balanced XLR, instrument via ¼” TRS and balanced XLR line input all connected at the same time and patch the selected input into the signal chain at the same time bypassing the other two.
The PreSonus ADL 700 – squeezing it all in!
With the ADL 700’s FET compressor you naturally get a very clean and reliable sound as well as being able to provide a faster attack time than you get in other types of compressors – this is due to the way in which FET compressors are not susceptible to temperature fluctuations, meaning a consistent sound is always produced.
As well as the usual features you’d expect to find such as +48V phantom power, polarity inversion switch and a 20 dB pad you also get a -12 dB high-pass filter allowing frequency threshold changes at 20, 40, 80 or 200 Hz or by-passing completely. This feature allows great control of low-frequency noise or rumble. If one compressor channel isn’t enough for you then with the stereo-link feature you can connect two ADL 700s together for increased stereo imagery.
If you are looking at a high end single-channel tube channel strip then the ADL 700 should certainly be on your short-list.
" PreSonus should have strong sales with the ADL700, as it takes the character of the ADL600's mic preamps and adds some useful additional features that will appeal to those who seek a high-quality and versatile channel strip, with nicely balanced but not overblown character. This is a very grown-up product and I enjoyed working with it very much. "- Sound On Sound
" If you're looking for an incredibly adaptable mic preamp - one that you could use on anything - I'd recommend checking this unit out."- Tape Op
The award-winning ADL tube preamp
- High-voltage, all-tube, Class A, dual-transformer design with one 12AT7 and two 6922 vacuum tubes
- Input-source select switch
- Variable microphone input impedance (150, 300, 900, 1,500Ω)
- 8-position Gain switch
- Variable Trim adjustment for final stage
Mr. Creel’s fully variable FET compressor
- Attack, release, threshold, ratio, makeup gain
- Bypass switch
- Stereo link
Mr. Creel’s four-band, semi-parametric EQ with bypass
- Two peak mid bands
- High and low bands switchable peak/shelving
- Overlapping frequency ranges
- Fixed Q (0.55)
- Switchable pre-/post-compressor
- Bypass switch
Meters, controls, and other features
- Ultra-low noise (-100 dB S/N ratio) and high gain (>73 dB gain)
- Dual-mode analog VU metering (output and gain reduction)
- -6 dB meter-offset switch (for metering hot signals)
- Variable high-pass filter (20, 40, 80, 200 Hz)
- 48V phantom power
- Polarity-invert switch
- -20 dB pad
Getting in and out
- 1 unbalanced ¼” instrument input (front panel)
- 1 transformer-balanced XLR line input
- 1 transformer-balanced XLR mic input
- 1 transformer-balanced XLR line output
Let’s get physical
- 2U 19” rack-mountable, rugged steel chassis
- Internal power supply with standard IEC connector
- Chassis-ground link connectors (lift chassis ground)
Maximum Input Level